|Bedknife Replacement and Grinding
- Remove the bedbar from the cutting unit.
- Use the special bedknife screw tool to remove the bedknife screws, then remove the bedknife.
- Remove all rust, scale and corrosion from the bedbar surface before installing a new bedknife.
- Install the new bedknife:
- Make sure the bedbar threads are clean.
- Use new Toro screws. Apply anti-seize lubricant to the screw threads before installing.
- Tighten the screws working from the center toward each end of the bedbar. DO NOT use an impact wrench.
250 - 300 in.lb. (288 - 345 KgCm)
200 - 250 in.lb. (230 - 288 KgCm)
5. Since there can be variations in the mounting surface of the bedbar, a new bedknife may not be perfectly flat after it is installed. Because of this, it is necessary to backlap or grind a new bedknife after installing it to the bedbar. When grinding, follow the existing angle that was ground into the bedknife and grind only enough to make sure the top surface is true.
Remove the bedbar / bedknife assembly from the cutting unit before attempting to regrind a used bedknife. Keep the bedknife fastened to the bedbar when grinding.
Note: When grinding, be careful to not overheat the bedknife. Remove small amounts of material with each pass of the grinder.
NOTE: Fairway / utility bedknife shown.
Preparing Reel for Grinding
See the Toro Reel and Bedknife Grinding Guidelines charts for grinding specifications.
1. Check to make sure reel bearings are in good condition and properly adjusted before grinding the reel. Make sure the cutting unit frame and roller brackets are true and not bent or damaged from impacts with trees, posts or cart path edges.
2. Remove the bedbar/bedknife assembly.
3. Remove parts as necessary to mount the cutting unit in the grinder (e.g., font roller, roller brackets). Follow the grinding manufacturer's instructions for mounting the cutting unit.
Note: The cutting unit must be aligned so the grinding wheel will travel parallel to the reel shaft. This will result in the the reel being ground to the desired cylinder shape.
Note: When grinding, be careful to not overheat the reel blades. Remove small amounts of material with each pass of the grinder.
4. After completing the grinding process, do a complete set-up and adjustment procedure.
Reel Grinding Guidelines Chart