Introducing the Toro® XTRA SMART™ Precision™ Soil Moisture Sensor
Toro's XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor works with any sprinkler system, even non-Toro branded controllers.
Simple to Install
Place the sensor in an area of your yard that's fairly well watered, connect the receiver to your controller. Calibrate, then start saving water!
Award Winning Technology
Toro's XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor was recently awarded the Popular Mechanics Editor's Choice Award at the National Hardware Show in Las Vegas.Read More
- Water/Money Savings
- Beautiful Results
- Brains for Your Backyard
- Product Specifications
Save Water, Save Money
If you have an automatic sprinkler system installed underground you probably already know that most of your annual water use goes to water your landscape. In fact, experts say that as much as 70% of all water use in homes with an in-ground sprinkler system is used outside the home. In addition we often overwater our lawns, shrubs and flower beds resulting in thousands of gallons of water literally down the drain.
Toro's XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor's innovative, wireless technology will keep your sprinklers from over-watering and under-watering your lawn. By sensing when your lawn needs moisture, the XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor allows your controller to water. Conversely, if there's enough moisture, the sensor prevents the system from running!
With the Toro XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor you will start saving water and money right away. The only question that remains is, what are you going to do with all that extra money?
If the grass is always greener on the other side, whoever owns that lawn might be using XTRA SMART technology from Toro.
Toro's XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor can help grow and maintain a healthy landscape. Just like the fuel gauge on your vehicle, this technology allows you to keep track of how much water is below your grass. Too much water and the grass becomes over-saturated and starved for oxygen which can cause yellowing, uneven growth patterns and root rot; not enough water and the turf becomes dry and wilted.
For optimal water savings, ensure that your sprinkler system is functioning properly prior to installing your XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor. For even more water savings Toro can evaluate your sprinkler system to ensure that your sprinkler layout is designed to achieve maximum results without wasting water. Visit the Toro Design Center to get started.
Brains for Your Backyard
The XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor has been adapted from commercial-grade sensing technology that is found in world famous sports grounds, golf courses, and gardens. What makes this system so unique is its industry-first, wireless technology.
The XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor utilizes stainless steel probes that nest into your turf, monitoring the moisture levels in the lawn's root system. Each day that your sprinkler timer is scheduled to water it checks in with the XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor. When the moisture level is adequate for plant growth the XTRA SMART sensor will not allow the timer to run the sprinkler system. When the soil moisture is at or below the minimum desired level the XTRA SMART sensor will allow the timer to water.
This sensor is universally compatible, meaning it is compatible with most sprinkler timer brands. The sensor's low profile design sits flush with the soil, just like your sprinkler heads, so it will not be damaged during mowing. Additionally, the sensor monitors soil temperature and prevents watering during freezing conditions.
Finally, you'll never have to worry about making seasonal adjustments or scheduling changes for cool or hot spells. Just install the XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor and it takes care of the scheduling guesswork.
Installing your XTRA SMART Soil Sensor is simple, and only requires a few steps.
Note: The installation steps below provide only basic information to properly install the XTRA SMART Soil Sensor. Please refer to the product User's Guide for complete, detailed instructions.
- Install the Receiver
- Install the Sensor
- Adjust your Automatic Watering Program: The purpose of the XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor is to prevent automatic sprinkler operation when water is not needed. Set your watering schedule to meet the highest watering demands expected throughout the summer months. The number of days between waterings will increase as the weather cools. For help with scheduling, visit http://schedulingadvisor.toro.com to download free sprinkler scheduling software.
- Enjoy worry-free water saving results!
- Receiver Mounting Options: Indoor or Outdoor (stainless steel screws included!).
- Operating Temperature: 14° F –140° F (-10° C to 60° C)
- Receiver Connection Cable: 36”, 24 AWG, 5-conductor, color-coded cable
- Receiver Power Input: 22–28 VAC/VDC, 100mA, from existing timer with Class 2, UL-approved transformer
- Output Relay Contacts: Normally Open (NO) and Normally Closed (NC), 3A @ 24 VAC
- Receiver Material: High-impact ABS
- Operating Frequency: 915Mhz, DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum)
- Agencies Approvals: UL and FCC
- Power Supply: 4.5 VDC supplied by three size-AA alkaline batteries.
- Housing Material: High-impact ABS
- Moisture Protection: Electronic circuitry encased in solid epoxy. Battery compartment sealed by precision O-ring.
- Signal Quality Indicator: Tri-colored (Red, Yellow, Green) LED
- Stainless steel electrodes
- Built-in installation anchor stakes
- Operating Temperature: 14° F to 170° F (-10° C to 60° C)
Toro WaterSmart® Products
Once you've installed your XTRA SMART Soil Moisture Sensor, you can further optimize your watering efficiency by upgrading your system using other water saving products.
- Toro's Precision™ H2FLO™ Nozzles and Sprinklers create larger, more uniform water droplets that more efficiently deliver water to plants' roots. H2FLO products use Toro exclusive H2O Chip Technology. This technology enables the use of one third less water pressure than traditional spray nozzles and sprinklers, saving water while producing the same fantastic results.
- Toro's MultiStream PRN Lawn Sprinkler for medium to large lawns, shrub and sloped areas delivers a precise amount of water via slow rotating streams. These streams allow water to be absorbed into the soil more efficiently resulting in greater results using less water.
The Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, relies on this same soil sensing technology to ensure the playing surface is perfect all year long. Hear from the man who makes sure the field is healthy, and performs the way world-class athletes expect.
After installing Toro's XTRA SMART Soil Sensor, this retired homeowner saw water savings of $26 in the first month alone. Saving water, saving money, imagine what the XTRA SMART Soil Sensor could save you!
The XTRA SMART Soil Sensor is an innovative product that aims to save you water AND money. Learn more about the benefits of the XTRA SMART Soil Sensor by watching this video.