For Recycler® and Super Recycler® mowers:
Recommended Oil type for Toro Walk Behind Mowers, 4-Cycle engines - SAE 30W Detergent oil with an API service classification of SF, SG, SH, SJ, SL, or higher.
- Run the engine for five minutes to warm the oil so it drains better. (Recommend only filling fuel tank with enough gas to run for five minutes before changing oil.)
- Remove the dipstick.
- Tip the mower onto its side (air filter side up) to drain the used oil out through the oil fill tube into a drain pan. (Tipping the machine on its side is the recommended method by engine manufacturers.)
- Let oil drain completely.
- Tip the mower back up on its wheels and slowly pour new oil into the oil fill tube until oil level reaches the FULL line on the dipstick. (To properly check the oil level , wait one or two minutes after filling the engine with oil to allow it to settle. Wipe the dipstick clean, reinsert dipstick, remove dipstick and check oil level, repeat the process a second time.)
- Important Do Not overfill - If you overfill the engine with oil you will need to remove the excess oil by following the oil draining steps listed above. Too much oil can cause engine damage or failure.
For complete step-by-step instructions, please consult your Owner's Manual or view our interactive smart manual by selecting your model number from the list below.
- 22" Toro Recycler® Mower
- Super Recycler® Model 20053 - 20058
- Troubleshooting Guide for Starting
- Advanced Search - Try our Advanced Search feature to help determine your machines Model number.
- Authorized Service Dealer - Not comfortable doing the maintenance yourself? Contact your local authorized service dealer for assistance.